Sheetala Ashtami 2023: Date, Time, Puja Rituals, Mythological Tale & more
Sheetala Mata is worshipped on the day of Sheetala Ashtami also known as Basoda. Sheetala Mata is known as the goddess who protects her followers from various serious and communicable diseases. People do not light their kitchen fire on the day of Sheetala Ashtami and instead cook their food a day before and therefore eat stale food on the day of Sheetala Ashtami.
Updated Mar 9, 2023 | 03:02 PM IST
- On the evening before Ashtami, prepare Bhog for Sheetala Mata and make other preparations for the puja.
- Use pure oil to make the food and jaggery for the one you eat.
- Moreover, on the Sheetala Ashtami 2023, you must make roti, sweetened rice, besan, and potatoes puris.
- Also, you can serve black gramme, soaked overnight on the Basoda in some areas.
- Offer Bhog to Sheetla Devi shrine on this Ashtami day. Present it together with a sweet prepared using milk or milk products.
- Furthermore, you can also serve butter and curd on sweetened roti.
- With it, on Basoda 2023, you must offer Sheetala Devi raw lassi in the Bhog too.
- Young females rever in various cultures on this day and must avoid hot foods.
- Custom dictates that households refrain from lighting fires on Sheetala Ashtami to cook. So make meals a day ahead of time and eat the old food on a real day.
- Follow the tradition of offering old food to Devi Sheetala, igniting the meaning of Basoda.
- Before the puja, early in the morning, before sunlight, take a bath.
- Then go to the Sheetala Goddess shrine and offer the Devi Haldi and Bajra in adoration.
- Make sure, on Basoda in 2023, you listen to the Basoda Vrat Katha after completing the puja rites.
- Later, present the deity Sheetala rabbi, curd, and other necessary offerings.
- Make sure, you seek your elders for blessings. Following the same, ready the meals for the Goddess and consume the remaining food throughout the day.
- Consider the “Basi Khana” as the prasad and serve it to the people in your family.
- Additionally, make sure you provide the same food to the destitute and underprivileged, as other devotees.
- Read “Sheetalashtak” on this particular day to get favourable results.
- Rajasthan: In Rajasthan, people organize many special Sheetla Mata fairs. On this day people come to these fairs with full enthusiasm and enjoy the festival, while also worshipping Mata Sheetla to seek her blessings. Malpua, Ker Sangri, Puri, Roti, and Gulgule are the staple foods of Basoda.
- Madhya Pradesh: In Madhya Pradesh, people organize a grand fair every year at the festival of Basoda in Sheetla Mata Shakti Dham attracting a lot of tourists and devotees from all over the country.
- Gujarat: The people of Gujarat worship Goddess Sheetla and prepare special food items to celebrate the festival of Basoda.
PM Modi, Anthony Albanese gifted collages fashioned by images of Indian and Australian cricketers
Kareena Kapoor rocks denim-on-denim look and it's perfect for this summer. WATCH
Sankashti Chaturthi is tomorrow: People worship Ganesha in Bhalchandra form to get rid of their troubles and also fast on this day
Mahesh Babu net worth: A peek into Tollywood superstar's lavish lifestyle
IND vs AUS: With Rohit Sharma off the field, senior India player takes over as captain in 4th Test
Pathaan box office update: Shah Rukh Khan film shows NO signs of fatigue. Week 6 earns HIGHER than Week 5
IRB Infra, its Private InvIT Arm’s collective toll collection for Feb 2023: Check details
Don't Lose Your Memories: Celebrate World Backup Day with Western Digital's Effortless Campaign!
© 2023 Bennett, Coleman & Company Limited